up and up

Hey hey, are you ready for some good news?

Cuz it is all I've got. No complaints from me, at all. Things are still going so well. I have been walking everyday, getting stronger and faster. I did a pulmonary function test today and like the team said, it has improved. This morning's results were great, I have a pulmonary function of 1.7 Litres. We all thought I reached a plateau three weeks ago when I was blowing 1.5 L but guys, it went up again! I feel so great.

I've been keeping busy with physio and socializing. I had been doing so well they let me go home for thanksgiving. It was so nice to be able to spend time with the whole family minus David, who happens to be in Norway. I miss you Daves! Hope you're breathing in some of that fresh crisp air. 

If things continue to go well, I might be able to head home for Christmas.

What a gift this time has truly has been. 


Week One

And so it begins...

Things are going so well that I only have great news. I can not believe it has already been three weeks. 

I had my first clinic appointment this past Wednesday. I had a bronc last week with great results. I found out I am rejection free! Everything came back negative (good thing!) and I had my first PFT (Pulmonary Function Test). My lung function is now three times what it was before the transplant. (0.3 L --> 1.3 L) The team said it will continue to grow as I recover and do my physiotherapy. So exciting!  

I started my rehabilitation this week and I feel so well. The first day back, I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes without stopping and I was able to talk while walking. That was a big deal for me. I woke up with insane knee pain in the middle of the night given the fact that I hadn't walked like that in a few months. My routine was modified and I was pain free within a day.

I am feeling much better now and as always am so grateful to my donor family.

Love you ALL lung time,


Out! Sortie!

Hey guys!

It is me, Hélène, writing for the first time from my couch in my home away from HOME with these brand new lungs! My eyes are tearing up as I blog. I am having a hard time finding words to describe how I am feeling right now. I am so overjoyed and elated I might come across a little redundant.  

I do not know where to start. I can not thank my donor family enough, for the wonderful gift they have given. No matter where or what I do, I will always do it thinking of you. Thank You.

To all the staff at the Toronto General Hospital; thank you as well. What an amazing team! I would not have made it through this without you. Huge thanks to the physio team at UHN, the relentless support of my family, great friends. I've got the best support and I am so blessed to be doing so well. I can't believe it has only been two weeks since I got the call. It has all happened so quickly. 

Breathing feels so wonderful. I am dancing, speaking, singing and sneezing. I am still recovering and am not out of the woods yet, but I sure do feel like I am walking on air. I love you all lung time and can not thank you enough for the wonderful words of encouragement and positive vibes or kind prayers I received while in hospital. 

I want to take a moment to thank Neil for updating you all with the little/massive milestones over the past few weeks.

I will keep you all in the loop with the latest, <3